Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A sampling...

Here is a sampling of some of things that we have been doing since coming to the UK. Well more like I have been doing since Andrew has to work.  On Sunday we walked down to the Thames and saw Big Ben. It was freezing cold, but we still had a good time. 

This is a picture of the London temple. On Saturday we were able to do a session with Andrew's parents, and then "tour" the temple and see all of the different sealing rooms. In order to get there you have to ride a train and then take a taxi. The temple grounds where really pretty and green, and we found a little duck who was quite friendly and followed Dad law around. 
I bet you didn't know the Effiel Tower was in London! Just kidding it is still in Paris. Andrew's parents and I took the Eurostar under the English channel to Paris last week. It was quite an adventure trying to figure out the french subway system. But we prevailed. Paris was amazing I had no less than 18 crepes in the 2 days we were there.  We took a bus tour, and I will say that for the record I think my commentary was way better than the recording on the tour,even though one member of our party didn't agree.  In the plaza in front of Notre Dame there was a fete de pain. Or as I roughly translated it, a bread festival. That was really fun, and there was also delicious bread! Vive la France! 

Back to England, this is the front of the NHM, as the locals say (I just made that up) or the Natural History Museum. The building might possibly be cooler than the museum itself, but I'll reserve judgement until I see all of it. The nice thing about the museums is that they are free, so you can go back as often as you like. 
 Ahhh.... the Paris Opera House. This place is legendary, as I felt like I had already been there, due to that fact that Dad Law took no less than 800 pictures of it last year when he went to Paris. I was like I don't even need to see the opera house, but I felt I had to see for myself the magnificent building that prompted such maniacal photography. And let me just say for the record that the Paris Opera House does indeed deserve every one of those 800 pictures. It was amazing. 

This last picture is of the tower at Windsor castle, one of my favorite places I've been thus far in England and France. We were able to take a guided audio tour of the grounds and the state rooms, however I believe that the next time an audio tour is being recorded I should be consulted first. There was amazing furniture and decorations in all of the rooms, and all the guy from the audio tour could talk about was the stupid paintings on the wall. Which would have been fine by itself, but then there would have to be some "professional commentator" adding his two cents as to what this painting represents or should evoke, and see the brush strokes...blah blah blah. I felt like I was back in art history my freshman year. In any case I was able to score some awesome english monarchy magnets for the fridge. Oh and I have suddenly become inspired to start collecting china, donations would be appreciated. 

So there is a short update. I think that I should get a prize for being in a good mood through all of the touring that was done in the past week an a half, I feel that I was surprisingly well behaved even though I have a massive sinus infection and a fever blister that is taking over my entire lip. It isn't pretty.  Cheers! 

4 comments:

Kara B said...

I'm so happy to finally see some pictures of your travels. They are great! Though I would like to see a picture of this cold sore! Ha! It sounds like you are having a grand time!! I'm jealous! I just finished reading "The Other Boleyn Girl" and now I'm fascinated with that time period and Henry 8. Have fun! We miss you!

Kristen Lee Briggs said...

Everything looks so fun! I wish I could come and visit you! We would have a good time! Instead of all of these historical landmark pictures, how about you get some of Madonna's house, where Tom and Katie hang out, and anything related to the Spice Girls! I would really enjoy that!

Unknown said...

Awesome pictures Hailie, I am glad you were having fun, and after all still in a good mood. I remember when you and I couldn't stand all that shopping grandma and your mom would do, it's got to be better than that.

Hailie said...

I haven't seen Madge's house (that's what they call Madonna) but we went to the area that she lives it's called Belgravia. And they have these newspapers they hand out free on the tube every afternoon that are full of celeb sightings in London, and I have totally seen some of the places they hang out. It's almost like we are in England's version of Hollywood!!! Oh and we went to this store that supposedly Prince William buys his shirts at. Remember how to love Diana? Well so do the British!!